Evidence mounts in killings of hundreds of people in country’s largest city
Evidence is mounting that police are behind a wave of death squad-style killings that has left hundreds of people dead in Brazil’s largest city in recent months.
Last weekend two officers were arrested in connection with a string of attacks by death squads in the west of greater São Paulo that left four people dead. They joined more than 20 others already being held for suspected involvement in death squads or for carrying out summary executions while on duty.
Authorities confirmed that two investigations have been opened into the possible involvement of a group of officers in the killing of 35 people by death squads in the greater São Paulo city of Guarulhos, home to Brazil’s main international airport.
The latest arrests prompted São Paulo governor Geraldo Alckmin to promise “zero tolerance” for officers involved in murders, though he denied any knowledge of death squads operating in the state’s police.
But Fernando Grella, São Paulo’s state secretary for security, admitted the possibility of death squads made up of police officers.
The admission is a marked change for the state’s political and police leadership, which had previously denied the existence of such groups – a denial human rights groups say created a sense of impunity within the force.
The most dramatic evidence of likely police involvement was the emergence of security camera footage that showed two poor youths being shot dead last month by two men on a motorbike.
The footage clearly shows that police officers were within 50m of the scene when the killings took place and provided an escort for the killers as they made their escape. Eleven officers are now under arrest in connection with the killing.
US Silent on Psychologists Role in CIA’s Tortures: Doctors 2014-12-20 21:53
Physicians for Human Rights had not received any response from the US Federal Commission to their call to investigate the role of health professionals in CIA’s torture program, Deputy Director of the organization told Sputnik.
December 19 (Sputnik) — US government has not responded to calls to prosecute doctors, who participated in CIA torture program, the Deputy Director of Communications for ...
Former Chief Security Officer for NewsCorp: N. Koreans Not Behind Sony Hack, Interview Leak 2014-12-20 2:17
Hemanshu Nigam, a former federal prosecutor and former chief security officer for NewsCorp/Fox studios, says North Korea isn’t behind the Sony Hack.
Nigam gave several bullet points for why the hack was likely an inside job.
Attack code borrowed from a previous attack on Seoul, that’s why it’s in Korean. Private hackers typically borrow malicious code from other hackers.Nations state attacks follow ...
Sony Fires Back at Obama: Actually We Did Call the White House – Several Times 2014-12-20 2:13 Sony fired back at Obama after the press conference saying they had several conversations with the Obama White House before and after the movie was canceled.
Via The Hollywood Reporter:
After President Obama criticized Sony for its decision to cancel The Interview's release after theater chains decided not to show the film, the studio has issued a statement elaborating on the move.
The Bankster International 2014-12-20 1:55 Geopolitical analysis, the art of explaining power relationships through the prism of impersonal geography, can be a helpful tool for observers of the Great Game – but it also has its limitations. A case in point is the renewed US-Russia confrontation. Think tanks and policy insiders easily sell the narrative that from the dark days of the Cold War to ...