Breivik called the police from Utøya
2011 08 02
Geir Lippestad confirms, the defense attorney of Breivik.
Lippestad is unsure if a court case could be completed with Breivik.
- Lippestad, from the experiences of the prison meeting, interrogation,
and your own meetings with him, have you reflected over the possibility of proceeding
with a court case with him, in his current state?
- It’s too early to say. I’ve obviously reflected over this.
The considerations of the court will be important.
- Are there any changes in Breiviks behavior after your first meeting with him?
Called the police
- Several media reported that Breivik himself called to the police from Utøya; that he presented himself as a brigadier and told them that the "mission was accomplished."
Are you aware of this?
- He explained that he called the police, but I’m not aware of this.
- Did he define the time of the first shots?
- Has he explained where he spent the night, from 21. to 22. July?
- Has he explained that he hanged containers with gasoline in trees at Utøya?
- This hasn’t been a topic in the interrogations.
Not too lenient
- Brevik is putting forth some demands, he wants to set some premises,
like which persons will study him. Many people would feel that he’s been treated perhaps too kindly during the first interrogations. Could you see that this goes against peoples feeling of justice, considering the actions taken by Breivik?
- Too my knowledge he’s putting forth two types of demands. A list of demands 2, which has been partly granted, like decent clothes, snus [TN: tobacco put under your lip.], and that kind of stuff. In this regard he’s not treated much different that most others. As for demands list 1 it’s so separated from reality that noone can grant it. I don’t know if you can say he’s been treated too leniently. It’s common to start interrogations in a way where the suspect can explain himself as freely as possible, then he is confronted more concretely later, Lippestad says.
He also says that in-between the interrogations, he goes through a lot of documentation.
- There is a major amount of investigation. I have to read up on everything, know the case as well as I can.
- You get access to every document you ask for?
- So far the dialog with the police force has been good.
An additional defense attorney
He will now share the defense attorney job with a colleague from his law-office. However, only Lippestad will be appearing in front of the media.
- Are there any news of people Breivik wants contact with?
200 witnesses queried
Police-lawyer Pål-Fredrik Hjort Kraby informs that around 200 witnesses were interrogated, and many more are left.
The investigation is now focused mainly on witnesses, in addition to figuring out if Breivik had any accomplices, if the information he’s been giving us in the interrogations, and the manifest about other terror groups in Norway and the rest of the world is correct.
Latest News from our Front Page
Tiny Micro Robots Build Things in ‘Microfactory’
2014 04 17
The teenie-weeniest robot uprising ever might be sooner rather than later due to the work of research institute SRI.
Don’t let these microbots’ size fool you, there is power in numbers and thousands of the robots can work together to perform tasks at dizzying speed.
SRI International has developed a new generation of ant-like robots that can work as ...
’We are not dead yet’: Heartbreaking text messages sent from schoolchildren trapped aboard South Korean ferry
2014 04 17
Passengers on board the South Korean ferry sent heartbreaking messages to their family members just moments before it sank.
Children waiting to be rescued frantically reached for their phones as the boat began to list in a bid to communicate with their loved ones a final time.
Twenty-four people, including five students and two teachers, have been found dead, but 272 are ...
"A world of pure imagination": How Occupy turned to "anarchy"
2014 04 17
In the closing ceremonies of London’s 2012 Summer Olympics, comedian Russell Brand, perched atop the Beatles’ "Magical Mystery Tour" bus, opened his performance by singing the first lines of "Pure Imagination" from the movie Willy Wonka:
Come with me
And you’ll be
In a world of
Artists ’have structurally different brains’
2014 04 17
Artists have structurally different brains compared with non-artists, a study has found.
Participants’ brain scans revealed that artists had increased neural matter in areas relating to fine motor movements and visual imagery.
The research, published in NeuroImage, suggests that an artist’s talent could be innate.
But training and environmental upbringing also play crucial roles in their ability, the authors report.
As in many areas ...
NSA-proof email service goes online
2014 04 17
A new email service that protects its users from the prying eyes of the NSA and other spy agencies has gone online. The service’s creators say it will make encrypted messaging accessible to all and curtail internet snooping.
Germany-based Lavaboom was inspired by Lavabit, the encrypted email service that was believed to have been used by whistleblower Edward Snowden before it ...
|More News » |