One Night Before the Attacks in Norway: Earthquake in Hedmark county - the New Home of Anders Breivik
2011 07 25
By Henrik Palmgren | redicecreations.com
It’s a strange but interesting "coincident" that on July 21st, the night before the attacks in Oslo and Utoya, there was a 3.78 magnitude earthquake reported in the Hedmark area.
This also happens to be the location where Anders Behring Breivik moved in late June or early July 2011.
Breivik located to the small rural town of Rena in Åmot, Hedmark county, about 140 km (86 miles) northeast of Oslo.
This tidbit was brought to our attention by Richard C. Heaogland who will be with us on Red Ice Radio to discuss this further and other details further.
Below is the report on the earthquake.
Earthquake in Hedmark
From: vg.no - translate.google.com
Police and Norsar was nedringt of hundreds of frightened people in eastern who noticed the powerful quakes in the night.
The phone has rung incessantly in the night by people who have noticed the earthquake in Østfold and Hedmark area. It is a fairly strong earthquake to be in Norway, but not very unusual, said seismologist Tormod mill in earthquake observatory NORSAR to VG Nett.
The earthquake last night had a magnitude of 3.78 on the Richter scale. The epicenter was about 13 kilometers west-northwest of Elverum.
The house shook
Stian Skjerpen (20) from Gjøvik awakened by the quake at 03-hours.
- I woke up that shook the house. It lasted about 4-5 seconds, says Stian Skjerpen to VG Nett.
Also in Lillehammer, they noticed the powerful quake.
- I was lying in bed when I suddenly noticed that it broke the wood in the house. There were two tremors in a row, says Svein Stone Farm (61) to VG Nett.
VG Nett Ola Stenberg woke up that shook the house at 03 o’clock last night in Hamar.
- The bed suddenly bumped into the wall. I sat there and wondered what the heck it was like shaking. My son at two years, usually a good sleeper, but he felt earthquakes. He looked at me with big eyes and said: Daddy? describes Stenberg.
He says that there was an intense shaking over a few seconds.
- The earthquake was so powerful that I was worried about what damage it could cause. I fell asleep still pretty fast, but we were pretty desperate this morning to find out what it was, he says.
Can be aftershocks
After a quake as quake on Wednesday night you can experience several aftershocks. In 1994, it measured the earthquake at Eidsvold 4 on the Richter scale. A few days later, the same area shaken by NOK a quake, measured at nearly 3 on the same scale.
- There may be more aftershocks in the area in Hedmark, says Tormod mill.
But there is no danger, we believe seismologist. Experiences an earthquake in Norway, only to let it pass.
Stresses in the crust
- The liquid thermal mass inside the earth moves, and the rigid crust on the outside are excited, says seismologist Tormod mill to VG Nett.
When the tension becomes so great that the crust can not withstand the pressure, it breaks in the crust, and earthquakes erupt. At NORSAR, all earthquakes recorded by seismometer.
Although Norway is securely placed on a plate, and not on a plate boundary, we get still smaller earthquakes.
Other type of earthquakes in Norway
The earthquake that shook Norway is just child’s play compared to the earthquake that claimed thousands of lives in Japan earlier this year and triggered the tsunami that washed away entire villages and claimed even thousands of lives.
- The areas located near the plate boundaries, such as Japan and Sumatra in Indonesia is significantly larger quakes than the night at Eastern, says seismologist.
Night tremors, which were measured at 3.7 on the Richter scale, is a different type of earthquakes than large earthquakes the world has seen recently.
- Less stress can occur in areas that are not in tension between the earth plates, says the mill.
Pass on structures
- For men it is not dangerous. If you have any construction that can withstand a little movement can be dangerous, but in the area where there was trembling in the night live quite small people, he said.
Earthquake felt in that the ground shakes, and that the area you are in the quake. There are nearly as dramatic as the pictures from Japan where houses and buildings shaking and then collapse.
- Are you in a house you can hear the sounds, the ones that are quite close to the center of the quake can hear the bang, telling mill.
No one was injured
NORSAR was early Thursday morning, little information about the earthquake and promised to come back with details throughout the day.
- We have not received reports of injuries or homes, but there are many who have called and been appalled by what they saw, says operations manager Trond Ola Berg Hedmark police told AP.
Police received messages from people in Hamar, Løten, Elverum, Rena and Våler. It was Thursday morning, no reports of damage to property or persons.
Latest News from our Front Page
UK hospital accused of selling body parts for booze
2014 07 31
A leading cancer hospital is to be investigated following allegations that one of its staff members exchanged human body samples for whisky and cash.
The calls to investigate Christies NHS foundation trust came after the accusation was made by an anonymous whistleblower, prompting British MP Rosie Cooper to contact the watchdog, the Human Tissue Authority (HTA), the Manchester Evening News reports.
15 dead, over 220 injured as multiple gas explosions hit Taiwan city
2014 07 31
Several blasts have ripped through Kaohsiung, a city in south-western Taiwan, killing 15, injuring over 220 and overturning the cars in the street, the Fire Agency said. The cause is thought to be gas leaks in the sewage system.
The number of those injured is expected to rise, the Fire Department said. Many were also taken to schools across the city ...
TYPOGRAPHICAL ERROR on front page of alleged U.S. criteria for terrorist list
2014 07 31
We highlighted the recent report from Glenn Greenwald’s site, The Intercept, about the United States administration’s ’Terror Watch List’, and how "a 166-page document issued last year by the National Counterterrorism Center, spells out the government’s secret rules for putting individuals on its main terrorist database".
Read: BLACKLISTED: The Secret Government Rulebook For Labeling You a Terrorist
A reader with a sharp ...
Why is the State so obsessed by, and careless with, deadly pathogens?
2014 07 31
Earlier this month, we ran a report on the CDC anthrax blunder. As if that weren’t bad enough, there have been additional exposures since we posted that report. This time, it involved the shipment of live, highly contagious, and deadly H5N1 avian influenza samples.
As previously reported, as many as 841 scientists and staff members at a US Centers for Disease ...
‘Catastrophic’: Hedge fund billionaire Paul Singer warns of EMP
2014 07 31
Imminent: ‘Only a matter of time’ until entire electric grid destroyed by natural or man-made event…
Billionaire hedge fund manager Paul Singer is warning investors – and more broadly, lawmakers and leaders – about the potential destructive power of an electromagnetic pulse, or EMP, which could be triggered by solar events or artificially, via blasts in the atmosphere.
According to Singer, research ...
|More News » |