One Night Before the Attacks in Norway: Earthquake in Hedmark county - the New Home of Anders Breivik
By Henrik Palmgren | redicecreations.com
It’s a strange but interesting "coincident" that on July 21st, the night before the attacks in Oslo and Utoya, there was a 3.78 magnitude earthquake reported in the Hedmark area.
This also happens to be the location where Anders Behring Breivik moved in late June or early July 2011.
Breivik located to the small rural town of Rena in Åmot, Hedmark county, about 140 km (86 miles) northeast of Oslo.
This tidbit was brought to our attention by Richard C. Heaogland who will be with us on Red Ice Radio to discuss this further and other details further.
Below is the report on the earthquake.
Earthquake in Hedmark
From: vg.no - translate.google.com
Police and Norsar was nedringt of hundreds of frightened people in eastern who noticed the powerful quakes in the night.
The phone has rung incessantly in the night by people who have noticed the earthquake in Østfold and Hedmark area. It is a fairly strong earthquake to be in Norway, but not very unusual, said seismologist Tormod mill in earthquake observatory NORSAR to VG Nett.
The earthquake last night had a magnitude of 3.78 on the Richter scale. The epicenter was about 13 kilometers west-northwest of Elverum.
The house shook
Stian Skjerpen (20) from Gjøvik awakened by the quake at 03-hours.
- I woke up that shook the house. It lasted about 4-5 seconds, says Stian Skjerpen to VG Nett.
Also in Lillehammer, they noticed the powerful quake.
- I was lying in bed when I suddenly noticed that it broke the wood in the house. There were two tremors in a row, says Svein Stone Farm (61) to VG Nett.
VG Nett Ola Stenberg woke up that shook the house at 03 o’clock last night in Hamar.
- The bed suddenly bumped into the wall. I sat there and wondered what the heck it was like shaking. My son at two years, usually a good sleeper, but he felt earthquakes. He looked at me with big eyes and said: Daddy? describes Stenberg.
He says that there was an intense shaking over a few seconds.
- The earthquake was so powerful that I was worried about what damage it could cause. I fell asleep still pretty fast, but we were pretty desperate this morning to find out what it was, he says.
Can be aftershocks
After a quake as quake on Wednesday night you can experience several aftershocks. In 1994, it measured the earthquake at Eidsvold 4 on the Richter scale. A few days later, the same area shaken by NOK a quake, measured at nearly 3 on the same scale.
- There may be more aftershocks in the area in Hedmark, says Tormod mill.
But there is no danger, we believe seismologist. Experiences an earthquake in Norway, only to let it pass.
Stresses in the crust
- The liquid thermal mass inside the earth moves, and the rigid crust on the outside are excited, says seismologist Tormod mill to VG Nett.
When the tension becomes so great that the crust can not withstand the pressure, it breaks in the crust, and earthquakes erupt. At NORSAR, all earthquakes recorded by seismometer.
Although Norway is securely placed on a plate, and not on a plate boundary, we get still smaller earthquakes.
Other type of earthquakes in Norway
The earthquake that shook Norway is just child’s play compared to the earthquake that claimed thousands of lives in Japan earlier this year and triggered the tsunami that washed away entire villages and claimed even thousands of lives.
- The areas located near the plate boundaries, such as Japan and Sumatra in Indonesia is significantly larger quakes than the night at Eastern, says seismologist.
Night tremors, which were measured at 3.7 on the Richter scale, is a different type of earthquakes than large earthquakes the world has seen recently.
- Less stress can occur in areas that are not in tension between the earth plates, says the mill.
Pass on structures
- For men it is not dangerous. If you have any construction that can withstand a little movement can be dangerous, but in the area where there was trembling in the night live quite small people, he said.
Earthquake felt in that the ground shakes, and that the area you are in the quake. There are nearly as dramatic as the pictures from Japan where houses and buildings shaking and then collapse.
- Are you in a house you can hear the sounds, the ones that are quite close to the center of the quake can hear the bang, telling mill.
No one was injured
NORSAR was early Thursday morning, little information about the earthquake and promised to come back with details throughout the day.
- We have not received reports of injuries or homes, but there are many who have called and been appalled by what they saw, says operations manager Trond Ola Berg Hedmark police told AP.
Police received messages from people in Hamar, Løten, Elverum, Rena and Våler. It was Thursday morning, no reports of damage to property or persons.
Latest News from our Front Page
Why a Caucasian-Japanese is not Percieved as Japanese
The Japan Times has a hilarious article about a White guy who is angry and upset at the horrible and racist world we live in because customs agents and border agents are questioning his "right to be Japanese."
It's seems that Debito Arodou's experience at border crossings suggest that no one takes a White guy seriously, for claiming to be Japanese.
"Open the border - we're going to the UK!" Chanting mob of 200 storm Eurotunnel
Migrants make their way towards the Tunnel entrance in the early hours of Sunday morning
An organised mob of 200 migrants charged into the Calais entrance of the Channel Tunnel early yesterday, chanting â€˜open the bordersâ€™ and demanding to be allowed into Britain.
They tore down fences and charged past police, who retaliated by spraying tear gas. When the migrants were finally ...
Forgotten British Heroes Campaign
The text of the letter from the Forgotten British Heroes Campaign to the Israel ambassador in London, Daniel Taub.
This will be delivered to the Israel Embassy on Saturday 1st August, the day on which the Campaign will hold a wreath-laying and then a meeting at the site of a notorious Zionist terrorist bombing near to Trafalgar Square (the former British ...
Baltimore Murders Tie Records After Freddie Gray Killing, 45 Killed In July To Make It The Deadliest Month In At Least 45 Years
The number of people murdered in Baltimore hit a record-tying 45 homicides for the month of July, the Baltimore Sun is reporting. The number is an uptick that follows a trend of increased violence in the city in the months after the Baltimore riots that resulted from the death of unarmed black man Freddie Gray on April 12.
The increased violence in Baltimore, which was already one ...
Executive arrested over disappearance of $390 million in Bitcoins
Mark Karpeles, head of collapsed MTGox Bitcoin exchange held by Japanese police
Japanese police on Saturday arrested Mark Karpeles, head of the collapsed MtGox Bitcoin exchange, over the disappearance of about $390 (£250 million) worth of the virtual currency, local media said.
France-born Karpeles, 30, is suspected of having accessed the exchange's computer system and falsifying data on its outstanding balance, ...
|More News » |