Philippines typhoon toll rises to 12
2004 07 01
MANILA (AFP) - Rescuers have recovered the bodies of five more drowning victims in the Philippines, raising the death toll from Typhoon Mindulle to 12 with 13 others still missing and feared dead, civil defense officials said.
A man and a woman drowned in the northern province of Cagayan while two 12 year-old girls lost their lives in the north while crossing a swollen creek in Pangasinan province, the civil defense office said in a report Thursday.
Rescue workers recovered the body of another flash flood victim who had earlier been reported as missing on the southern island of Mindanao.
A resident squats on the roof of his house in Baguio city north of Manila Wendnesday, as water rose brought about by typhoon Mindulle. Typhoon Mindulle has left 12 people dead and 13 others missing, rescuers said.(AFP/file/Andy Zapata)
Seven others were previously confirmed dead.
Thirteen others are missing and feared drowned.
The civil defense office said 13 others were injured in landslides, when roofing was ripped from buildings and branches sheared off trees.
The typhoon has displaced nearly 180,000 people from 48 towns and three cities, destroyed or damaged nearly 400 houses, and inflicted damage to crops and infrastructure.
Parts of the northern section of the main island of Luzon were still without electricity and some major arteries were cut off by landslides, overflowing rivers or floods, or toppled trees and power pylons.
The army has been mobilized to rescue families marooned by floods in the north, it added.
A cargo ship ran aground Tuesday and later sank off Masinloc town, northwest of Manila. Eighteen crew members and four passengers were rescued.
Mindulle struck the country on Tuesday and now threatens southern Taiwan and eastern China.
Article From: http://www.earthchangestv.com/secure/2004/article_2461.php