Yemen rejects U.S. intervention in Qaeda fight
2010-01-07 0:00

From: AsiaOneNews.com

Yemen, hunting al Qaeda within its borders, believes its own security forces must fight militants on its territory and rejects any direct U.S. intervention, the foreign minister said.

Yemen, the poorest Arab country, was thrust into the foreground of the U.S.-led war against Islamist militants after a Yemen-based wing of al Qaeda said it was behind a Christmas Day attempt to bomb a U.S.-bound plane.

Asked by CNN whether Yemen would accept direct U.S. intervention, Foreign Minister Abubakr al-Qirbi, left, said: "No, I don't think we will accept that. I think the U.S., as well, have learned from Afghanistan and Iraq and other places that direct intervention can be self-defeating."

"We think this is the priority and the responsibility of our security forces and the army,'" Qirbi told the U.S. news channel.

Yemeni authorities launched an operation this week to root out al Qaeda militants who they said were behind threats that forced Western embassies to close.

The raid, which killed two militants, allayed U.S. concerns and allowing its heavily fortified mission to reopen.

"What we need from the United States and other partners is to build our capability to provide us with the technical know-how, with the equipment, with the intelligence information and with the firepower," Qirbi said.

Yemen has sent troops to take part in a campaign against al Qaeda in three provinces over the past four days. One security source said forces had set up extra checkpoints on main roads.

Yemeni forces surrounded a suspected a Qaeda regional leader near the capital on Wednesday, and have captured eight rank-and-file al Qaeda militants in recent days, including three wounded in Monday's raid, security sources said.

Multiple Fronts
Placed strategically on the Arabian Peninsula's southern rim, Yemen is trying to fight a threat from resurgent al Qaeda fighters while a Shi'ite revolt rages in the north and separatist sentiment simmers in the south.

"I think our thought was that maybe we should spare al Qaeda in the last year because of the confrontation in the south and with the Houthis (rebels). But al Qaeda took advantage of that,"Qirbi said, adding that the militant network had tried to make inroads with northern rebels and southern separatists.

"Then they went even further to arrange for some suicidal attacks in Sanaa. And this is why it was important that our security forces should take action against them," he added.

The West and Saudi Arabia fear al Qaeda will take advantage of Yemen's instability to spread its operations to the neighbouring kingdom, the world's biggest oil exporter, and beyond.

Yemen is a small oil producer. Yemen, with shrinking oil reserves, a water crisis and fast-growing population, has stepped up security on its coast to block militants from reaching its shores from Somalia. Qirbi said there were about 200 to 300 al Qaeda operatives in Yemen.

"How many of them are going to entertain terrorist attacks is something that is obviously of concern to us. This is why we always stress the importance of cooperation with United States and other countries in the region," he said.

Yemeni officials acknowledge the need for U.S. help with counter-terrorism, but say the government also lacks resources to tackle the poverty that widens al Qaeda's recruiting pool.

Defence and counter-terrorism officials say Washington has been quietly supplying military equipment, intelligence and training to Yemen to root out suspected al Qaeda hide-outs.

Civil war and lawlessness have turned Yemen into an alternative base for al Qaeda, which U.S. officials say has been largely pushed out of Afghanistan and is under military pressure from the Pakistani army in bordering tribal areas.

Article from: AsiaOneNews.com




Video from: YouTube.com



Related Articles
Yemen newest front in 'war on terror'? - 02 Jan 09 (Video)
US Yemen attack? Rebel video 'shows' 120 killed in strikes (Video)
Obama aide says 'al Qaeda' may plan Yemen attack
US, UK close Yemen embassies over al-Qaida threats
False Flag Event in Detroit a Pretext to Invade Yemen
Yemen, Latest War Front?
Attack on U.S. Embassy in Yemen Linked to Mossad
Yemen warns U.S. intervention could strengthen al-Qaeda
US steps up plans for military intervention in Pakistan (2007)


Latest News from our Front Page

ABC Is Hiding Details of Killer Vester Flanagan's Manifesto ...(Must Be Littered With Liberal Propaganda)
2015-08-29 3:45
Killer Vester Flanagan was a big Obama supporter. But, you’d never know it from the liberal media. The media is hiding Flanagan’s political leanings from the American public. ABC has yet to release Flanagan’s manifesto. It must be littered with embarrassing liberal propaganda. The Tatler reported, via Instapundit: Two days ago, ABC News reported that Vester Flanagan, the murderer of two WDBJ employees, sent a 23-page ...
Austria, Libya count dead as number of migrants crossing Mediterranean soars
2015-08-29 1:37
Austria said on Friday 71 refugees including a baby girl were found dead in an abandoned freezer truck, while Libya recovered the bodies of 82 migrants washed ashore after their overcrowded boat sank on its way to Europe and scores more were feared dead. The U.N. refugee agency said the number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean to reach Europe ...
Financial Times Calls For Abolishing Cash
2015-08-29 1:07
liminating physical currency necessary to give central banks more power The Financial Times has published an anonymous article which calls for the abolition of cash in order to give central banks and governments more power. Entitled The case for retiring another ‘barbarous relic’, the article laments the fact that people are stockpiling cash in anticipation of another economic collapse, a factor which ...
Serbian government bans anti-mass immigration protests, and plans ahead for mass immigration
2015-08-29 1:52
Nebojsa Stefanovic, Serbia’s Interior Minister said protesters who are concerned about “an EU plan” to settle thousands of illegal immigrants into the country, will not be allowed to voice their concerns in a protest march on Monday, 31st of August. “We will not allow the expression of intolerance and hatred to be something that is characteristic of Serbia” said Stefanovic. “The Ministry ...
Germany asks Facebook to remove 'racist' anti-migrant posts
2015-08-28 20:32
Heiko Maas, Germany's justice minister, says social network should remove xenophobic posts in the same way it deals with nudity Germany is calling on Facebook to remove “xenophobic and racist” anti-migrant posts from its website and apps. Heiko Maas, the German justice minister, has written to the company to demand an urgent review of its policy over hate messages. “Photos of certain ...
More News »