Robot to dig for secrets of Cheops
2006 12 02

From: bruneitimes.com



A robot archaeologist is to be sent deep inside Egypt's largest pyramid in a bid to solve secrets revealed by a first foray more than four years ago.

``The new robot will be sent down very narrow passages in the so-called Queen's Chamber, where the first robot was sent in 2002,'' said Zahi Hawass, who heads Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities.

Teams from Egypt and Singapore and a joint group from Britain and Hong Kong plan to insert the robot in February inside the Pyramid of Cheops at Giza, near to Cairo.

Eguipped with tiny cameras, the robot will be sent down the chamber's north and south passages in the hope of discovering what lies behind two inner walls or doors revealed during the first robotic expedition in September 2002.

At the time, the robot was sent into a northern shaft leading from the Queen's Chamber, only to be blocked about 65 metres from the chamber by ``a stone wall or door'' with copper handles. It also revealed the existence of a similar obstruction the same distance down the south passage.

The robot drilled a tiny hole through this blockage that was large enough to insert a micro camera which showed a cavity filled with stones itself closed on the far side by another wall or door. Archaeologists have always hoped to find clues that might lead them to discover the tomb of Cheops himself.

The pharaoh reigned more than 2,500 years before Christ, and it was he who had the largest pyramid in Egypt built.

Meanwhile, the French government said on Thursday that the judiciary was working to shed light on the attempted sale by a Frenchman of hair believed to belong to the mummy of Ramses II.

Asked whether France would apologise to Egypt if the hair turned out to be genuine as demanded by Hawass the foreign ministry said it was ``up to the judiciary to decide what action to take''.

``Like the Egyptian authorities, we want full light to be shed on this case,'' spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei told reporters.

A 50-year-old Frenchman was questioned by police on Wednesday over an Internet ad offering to sell snips of hair, embalming resin and bandages allegedly taken from the mummy of Ramses II.

He claimed the lot belonged to his father who was part of a team of scientists who analysed the royal mummy when it was sent to France in 1976 for electromagnetic treatment to stop it from deteriorating condition.

The ad which had been taken offline by Thursday kicked up a storm among Egyptian officials and researchers who consider the hair, if authentic, to be part of Egypt's rich heritage.

Mattei repeated he was sure Franco-Egyptian relations would not suffer from ``these individual actions, which are being investigated and which have been condemned by France's entire scientific community''.

The seller, who was released without charge while the investigation continues, later apologised to the Egyptian authorities, saying he ``had never imagined it would cause a diplomatic incident''.

The controversy comes a week ahead of a visit to Paris by Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak, who is to inaugurate an exhibition of Egyptian treasures discovered by a team of French underwater explorers.

The mummified body of Ramses II, who reigned from 1279 to 1213 BC, was sent from Cairo to Paris to be treated against decay in 1976, the first and last time a mummy of similar importance had left Egyptian soil.

A French lab said Thursday that it and other labs were indeed sent samples of the mummy's hair, resin and bandaging for analysis at the time, but that all were from fragments that fell from its shroud in transport.

Earlier, Egypt warned France that anything short of full cooperation in the case could harm bilateral ties.

Hawass, who has championed the recovery of pharaonic artefacts from western countries, was furious and said he could demand a formal apology.

``I have never seen such a thing in my entire life and if this proves true, I will demand an apology from France,'' he said.

``We want full transparency. If these elements are authentic, it would be a scandal that would ri

Article from: http://www.bruneitimes.com.bn/details.php?shape_ID=12585



Related Articles


Latest News from our Front Page

NATO Exercise in Ukraine Coincided with MH-17 Shoot-down
2014 07 24
Rapid Trident was omitted from the flurry of coverage on the shoot-down MH-17. From the U.S. Army in Europe website: Rapid Trident supports interoperability among Ukraine, the United States, NATO and Partnership for Peace member nations. The exercise helps prepare participants to operate successfully in a joint, multinational, integrated environment with host-nation support from civil and governmental agencies. ...
Warning of ’imminent’ terror attack in Norway
2014 07 24
Norwegians were warned Thursday of the concrete possibility of a terror attack occurring in that country at the hands of people with connections to an extremist group in Syria. A press conference was called in Oslo, Norway on Thursday where an announcement was made of a "possible concrete threat" to national security in that country from terrorists related to an extremist ...
Judge says government can access everything in a Gmail account
2014 07 24
All your emails are belong to us. At least that’s what the latest court order from a judge in New York says. The warrant, granted on June 11, states that the government can access all the content and files contained in a Gmail account. Yes, this is a significant blow to privacy. The subject of this specific search relates to a money laundering ...
Scotland Yard Spied on Grieving Families: secret surveillance after police victim shot seven times in head ’by mistake’
2014 07 24
More terror from the ’anti-terror’ brigade. Undercover police gathered evidence on 18 grieving families By Rob Evans and Vikram Dodd | The Guardian Undercover police officers secretly gathered intelligence over two decades on 18 families fighting to get justice from the police, it was revealed on Thursday. The intelligence covering high-profile campaigns was collected between the mid-1980s and 2005, and affected grieving families ...
Air Algerie AH5017 with 116 onboard goes missing for hours, found crashed in Mali
2014 07 24
An Air Algerie flight carrying 110 passengers and six crew members has reportedly crashed in Mali after having disappeared from radar early on Thursday morning between Burkina Faso and Algeria. A French Ministry of Defense official told Fox News that the two French fighter jets located the wreckage of the plane, which had crashed in Mali. An airport official additionally confirmed ...
More News »