UK deputy PM to block curbs on EU migration
Britain’s Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has pledged to block attempts by the coalition government to impose a cap on the number of European Union (EU) migrants.
Writing in the Sunday Times, Clegg described as "pointless" and "distracting" the UK’s Home Office plans for a cap on migration from the EU, possibly at 75,000 a year.
The Liberal Democrat leader also said that he backs ’sensible and reasonable reforms" to migrants’ benefit rights, but that he "draws the line" against the idea of limiting freedom of movement in the 28-member bloc.
“Sticking a big no-entry sign on the cliffs of Dover may be politically popular, but at a huge economic cost. What would happen if tonight every European living in the UK boarded a ship or plane and went home?” Clegg said.
Meanwhile, British Business Secretary Vince Cable said the Conservative party is in "a panic" over immigration because of the rise of the UK Independence Party (UKIP).
Speaking on the state-run BBC’s Andrew Marr on Sunday, Cable also accused the Tories of resorting to "populist measures that do harm".
The remarks come amid a growing row over the Conservatives’ proposals to tighten up welfare rules for EU migrants and escalating concerns over an influx of Romanians and Bulgarians to Britain in the near future.
British Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed on Wednesday that the new rules on migrants were being laid before the UK Parliament to bring them in by January 2014, when EU working restrictions are lifted.
Under the new measures, migrants from the 28-member bloc will be barred from claiming out-of-work benefits for their first three months in the UK.
EU nationals will also have their payments stopped after six months unless they can prove they have a “genuine” prospect of employment.
Moreover, those migrants found begging or sleeping rough could be deported and banned from re-entry to Britain for 12 months.
Latest News from our Front Page
The Josh Duggar Incident Reveals The Tactics And Hypocrisy of SJWs
Last week, In Touch Weekly broke the news that Josh Duggar, eldest son of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar from TLCâ€™s 19 Kids and Counting, had molested five under-aged girls in 2002 and 2003. Josh, who was 14 at the time, was accused of fondling his victims, touching their breasts and genitals while they slept.
A police report was released shortly ...
15 More Men of South Asian Descent Charged With Child Sex Offences
Police in Keighley, West Yorkshire have charged 14 men and a 16-year-old boy with sex offences including the rape of a girl under the age of 16. The offences relate primarily to one female victim, with one allegation involving a second who was also under 16 at the time.
The offences are alleged to have occurred between 2011 and 2012. In ...
Anti-Semitic fliers left on Chevy Chase driveways
Five streets in Chevy Chase, Md., were papered with anti-Semitic fliers on Wednesday morning.
Montgomery County police are looking for the person or people who left the hate-filled leaflets on almost every driveway on the streets.
â€śThis is very disturbing. My community is definitely disturbed,â€ť said Jean Sperling, the village manager of Martinâ€™s Additions, the community where the fliers were found. Sperling ...
German court says ex-SS officer unfit for trial
Prosecutors in the northern German city of Hamburg have dropped their probe into a 93-year-old former Nazi SS officer. Gerhard Sommer, who suffers from dementia, allegedly took part in a World War II massacre in Italy.
Gerhard Sommer, a former company commander of a mechanized infantry division, had been accused of participating in the mass murder of 560 civilians by Nazi ...
The Age of Disinformation
I have been a professional meteorologist for 36 years. Since my debut on television in 1979, I have been an eyewitness to the many changes in technology, society, and how we communicate. I am one who embraces change, and celebrates the higher quality of life we enjoy now thanks to this progress.
But, at the same time, I realize the instant ...
|More News » |