Indian Submarine Explodes In Mumbai
By Michael Edwards | ABC News
Up to 18 sailors killed in submarine explosion in Mumbai
Indian navy divers have entered a stricken submarine which exploded Wednesday in Mumbai but have detected no signs of life from the 18 crewmen on board, the navy said.
Meanwhile, an inquiry has been ordered into what’s thought to be India’s worst naval disaster in more than 40 years in which the fully armed INS Sindhurakshak, which was recently refitted in Russia, caught on fire after an explosion and subsequently sank in a military shipyard.
As many as 18 soldiers were believed to have been onboard and defence minister AK Antony confirmed that some had died.
Chief of naval staff D.K. Joshi said no sign of life had been detected by divers who managed to enter the sub through the main hatch in a bid to refloat the vessel.
"While we hope for the best, we have to prepare for the worst," he told reporters in Mumbai, adding that there was a possibility some crew might have found air pockets but "the indicators are negative".
It is not certain what caused the explosion, but reports suggest it may have occurred while maintenance was being carried out on the submarine’s battery system.
The blast damaged other ships nearby at the naval base.
Rahul Bedi, a defence expert with IHS Jane’s Defence Weekly, cited reports a saying the fire set off weapons on the submarine.
"Some agencies are reporting that the fire in fact set off two torpedos, one of which skimmed passed a submarine that was berthed nearby and another sailed harmlessly into either the water or some other buildings," he said.
Read the full article at: abc.net.au
Latest News from our Front Page
Gunman Storms Dutch TV Station Demanding Airtime
Dutch authorities have released few details about the bizarre case of 19-year-old Tarik Zahzah’s attack on the main news studio of television station NOS on Thursday. To get the obvious question out of the way first, the police say there is no evidence that Zahzah, who is half-Egyptian, acted on behalf of organized terrorism.
The authorities always say that on the ...
How Alan Dershowitz bullied rape victims to protect a serial child molester
Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz always felt children were fair game for Israeli missiles. Now the question is whether he thinks they are fair game for the sexual exploits of his powerful associates and himself.
Dershowitz and the UK’s Prince Andrew were accused in a recent court filing of raping a teenage girl who was forced into sexual slavery by ...
This past week, the world's preeminent vultures, the economic power elite, met in Davos to discuss the maintenance of their global fiat hegemony. Highlights included furthering austerity, noting that the serf class can't have air conditioning and cars, as well as cheering on the death of privacy through the rise of technocracy. The degenerate elite, completely out of touch with ...
Men must prove a woman said ’Yes’ under tough new rape rules
New guidance will be issued to all police forces and prosecutors as part of a ’toolkit’ to move rape investigations into the 21st century
Men accused of date rape will need to convince police that a woman consented to sex as part of a major change in the way sex offences are investigated.
The Director of Public Prosecutions said it was ...
4 beheaded in Saudi Arabia less than a week into King Salman's rule
Comment: So when will the the "Human rights" promoting liberal west elite decide invade Saudi Arabia like they did Libya?
Members of Magic Movement stage a mock execution scene in protest of Saudi Arabia beheading of eight Bangladeshi workers in October 2011.
Four people have been executed in Saudi Arabia less than a week after 79-year-old King Salman assumed power following the ...
|More News » |