European Parliament to increase spending on promoting itself
2012-11-19 0:00


The European Parliament is to increase sharply its spending on promoting itself next year, including a first £9.4 million instalment for a controversial new museum of Europe.

In line for a dramatic increase in cash from MEPsí £1.4 billion budget are a series of projects and other programmes designed to raise the profile of the institution and its internal political groupings, even as EU member states face an unprecedented period of fiscal austerity.

The "House of European History", the first phase of which will open next year, is intended to celebrate the EUís "historical memory" and to "promote awareness of European identity".

The íHouse of European Historyí will be located at the Parc Lťopold in Brussels

But the original plan for the museum, whose eventual cost will be £82 million, to begin with early Greek civilisation were dropped because squabbling MEPs disagreed on every significant historical event of the last 200 years, including key aspects of the Second World War. Instead it will begin with an EU "year zero" of 1946.


Despite irritation among the governments of many member states, national governments including Britain are prevented by a long-standing "gentlemenís agreement" from challenging spending by MEPs Ė which makes up on fifth of total EU spending.

The non-interference pact means MEPs are free to spend their £1.4 billion budget next year Ė which will itself rise by £33 million, or two per cent Ė without any oversight or external control.

The European assembly defends the spending increases. "Increases in seminars or audio-visual are linked to the duty of the institution to allow media and citizens to be fully informed about its political activity and to control it. Transparency cannot be only a nice word," said a spokesman.

But David Cameronís refusal to take on MEPs has angered Conservative backbenchers in Westminster who last month rebelled to inflict a serious defeat on the government over EU budget increases.

"Gentlemen do not make agreements to spend other peopleís money without their consent. This is not the European Parliamentís money. Because millions of pounds more are to be frittered away on euro propaganda, there will next year be less money for local services or tax cuts in Britain," said Douglas Carswell, the Tory MP for Clacton.

MEPs last week hijacked EU budget negotiations by walking out of talks after national governments refused to agree to spending increase of £13.8 billion, including the increases in their own budget.

Read the full article at:

Related Articles

Latest News from our Front Page

Feminist blogger uses her vaginal yeast to make sourdough bread
2015-12-01 22:52
It's a tale that might ensure you never look the same way at a humble loaf again. When a feminist blogger found herself suffering from a vaginal yeast infection, she made the unusual decision to use the unwanted bodily fluid as an ingredient for making bread. Zoe Stavri, who writes under the title Another Angry Woman, has documented the details of her ...
Apple could be working on virtual reality projector, patents show
2015-12-01 22:40
The company has been granted a patent for an ‚Äėadaptive projector‚Äô, which can project images onto surfaces Apple could be working on a new augmented reality projector, which would allow it to make computers without even adding a screen. The company has been granted a patent for an ‚Äúadaptive‚ÄĚ projector, reports Patently Apple. The patents seem to refer to a tool ...
83-year-old Romanian Jewess crowned "Miss Holocaust Survivor" in Israel
2015-12-01 22:23
83-year-old Romanian born Rita Berkowitz wins the one-of-a-kind charity beauty pageant Romania-born woman who immigrated to Israel won the third annual Miss Holocaust Survivors Beauty Pageant in Haifa. Rita Berkowitz, 83, was chosen among the 16 European natives who participated in the contest on Tuesday. She came to Israel in 1951. Hairdressers and makeup artists primped and pampered the contestants before they took ...
North Vancouver schools get first gender-neutral washroom
2015-12-01 21:52
In a first for North Vancouver schools, Seycove secondary has opened a gender-neutral washroom. The move is a step in the right direction and recognition that not every student feels welcome in the binary male- or female-designated washrooms, according to Brian Wilson, president of Seycove’s Queer Straight Alliance Club, which lobbied the school administration for the washroom. High school is already a ...
Newly-Completed Fukushima 'Containment' Wall Already 'Slightly Leaning'
2015-12-01 21:15
Just weeks after re-starting the building of a giant ice-wall to contain groundwater leaking from the Fukushima nuclear plant, TEPCO has been forced to admit that a 780-meter protective wall built alongside the crippled power station (completed only last month and designed to prevent contaminated groundwater from seeping into the sea)  is already "slightly leaning." While this sounds a lot ...
More News »