TSA Lets Loaded Guns Past Security, on to Planes
2012-10-02 0:00

By Mark Greenblatt | GMA

After reports of two loaded guns making it past airport screeners and on to passenger flights this week, one congressman says "hundreds" of prohibited items get past screeners every day, a situation he calls "intolerable."

In one of the incidents last week, Transportation Security Administration screeners allowed a New Orleans Hornets executive to board a plane from New Orleans to Newark, N.J., with a loaded handgun in his baggage.

Hornets Vice President Joshua Richardson reportedly took the bag with the gun on his trip by accident, saying it belonged to his wife.

The loaded gun went undetected on the first leg of his trip.

While there are conflicting reports on whether Richardson carried the loaded gun in a carry on or checked bag, the TSA has confirmed to ABC News that even checked firearms must be unloaded.

However, the agency said it would be less of a security threat if the gun was in a checked bag.

New York Port Authority police told The New York Post that TSA officials learned of the mistake on Friday night, when Richardson attempted to board a flight home from Newark back to New Orleans with the .38-caliber gun still packed away in his luggage.

Just one day earlier in Orlando, TSA officers missed another loaded gun. This time, a firefighter had mistakenly left the gun in her purse and carried it right through security screening and on to her plane. The firefighter realized on her own what had happened and alerted authorities.

Rep. John Mica, the Florida Republican who chairs the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, told WFTV he believes the mishaps at TSA that are coming to light now are just an indication of the true scope of the security threat.

"Unfortunately the reports I get, it’s not just this one weapon. It’s hundreds of items every day," Mica said. "It can’t be tolerated."

In Dallas, the TSA couldn’t keep up with a 65-year old grandmother who also had a gun get by screeners in January.

"It makes me feel concerned about what’s really going on," passenger Michael McCullough said at the time.

[...]


Read the full article at: news.yahoo.com







Related Articles
Beverages of Mass Distraction: TSA liquid testing INSIDE the terminal
TSA Kicks Woman Off Flight For Bad Attitude
TSA: Filming Checkpoints is ‘Terrorism’
House Panel to TSA: Stop Patting Down Beyonce (Celebs ’More Equal’ Than Others)
TSA Screeners Will Stop Your Children, Not Your Meth
Kissinger Gets Full TSA Patdown And Lives To Sell The Tale


Latest News from our Front Page

The Josh Duggar Incident Reveals The Tactics And Hypocrisy of SJWs
2015-05-30 1:46
Last week, In Touch Weekly broke the news that Josh Duggar, eldest son of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar from TLC’s 19 Kids and Counting, had molested five under-aged girls in 2002 and 2003. Josh, who was 14 at the time, was accused of fondling his victims, touching their breasts and genitals while they slept. A police report was released shortly ...
15 More Men of South Asian Descent Charged With Child Sex Offences
2015-05-30 0:42
Police in Keighley, West Yorkshire have charged 14 men and a 16-year-old boy with sex offences including the rape of a girl under the age of 16. The offences relate primarily to one female victim, with one allegation involving a second who was also under 16 at the time. The offences are alleged to have occurred between 2011 and 2012. In ...
Anti-Semitic fliers left on Chevy Chase driveways
2015-05-29 22:45
Five streets in Chevy Chase, Md., were papered with anti-Semitic fliers on Wednesday morning. Montgomery County police are looking for the person or people who left the hate-filled leaflets on almost every driveway on the streets. “This is very disturbing. My community is definitely disturbed,” said Jean Sperling, the village manager of Martin’s Additions, the community where the fliers were found. Sperling ...
German court says ex-SS officer unfit for trial
2015-05-29 22:32
Prosecutors in the northern German city of Hamburg have dropped their probe into a 93-year-old former Nazi SS officer. Gerhard Sommer, who suffers from dementia, allegedly took part in a World War II massacre in Italy. Gerhard Sommer, a former company commander of a mechanized infantry division, had been accused of participating in the mass murder of 560 civilians by Nazi ...
The Age of Disinformation
2015-05-29 21:56
I have been a professional meteorologist for 36 years. Since my debut on television in 1979, I have been an eyewitness to the many changes in technology, society, and how we communicate. I am one who embraces change, and celebrates the higher quality of life we enjoy now thanks to this progress. But, at the same time, I realize the instant ...
More News »