EU working group produces the stupidest set of proposed Internet rules in the entire history of the human race
By Cory Doctorow | BoingBoing.net
An EU working group thatís been charged with coming up with recommendations for a terrorist-free European Internet has been brainstorming the stupidest goddamned ideas youíve ever read, which are now widely visible, thanks to a leaked memo. The group, CleanIT, which is composed of cops, governments, and some NGOs from across Europe, has been given Ä400,000 to make its recommendations, and a document dated August 2012 sets out some of the groupís thinking to date. As mentioned, itís pretty amazingly bad. Like, infra-stupid, containing strains of stupidity so low and awful they canít be perceived with unaided human apparatus. Hereís Ars Technicaís summary of the ideas in the memo:
* "Knowingly providing hyperlinks on websites to terrorist content must be defined by law as illegal just like the terrorist content itself"
* "Governments must disseminate lists of illegal, terrorist websites"
* "The Council Regulation (EC) No 881/2002 of 27 May 2002 (art 1.2) should be explained that providing Internet services is included in providing economics instruments to Al Qaeda (and other terrorist persons and organisations designated by the EU) and therefore an illegal act"
* "On Voice over IP services it must be possible to flag users for terrorist activity."
* "Internet companies must allow only real, common names."
* "Social media companies must allow only real pictures of users."
* "At the European level a browser or operating system based reporting button must be developed."
* "Governments will start drafting legislation that will make offering... a system [to monitor Internet activity] to Internet users obligatory for browser or operating systems...as a condition of selling their products in this country or the European Union."
Ars Technicaís Cyrus Farivar tracked down a CleanIT spokesman on his home planet. But Klaasen is
the Dutch national coordinator for counterterrorism and security programme manager of the office of the Dutch national coordinator for counterterrorism and security*, and he is really upset that we can read this stupid, stupid document full of recommendations that would be illegal in European law. He also canít believe that European Digital Rights, the NGO that published the leaked stupid, stupid document, didnít honor the confidentiality notice on the stupid, stupid cover-page.
* Update Cyrus sez, "Klaasen has corrected his title calling himself now the íprogramme manager of the office of the Dutch national coordinator for counterterrorism and securityí. Hereís his LinkedIn page. Heís referred to as the íproject manager,í which as far as I can tell, makes him in charge of the whole thing."
"I do fully understand that the publishing of the document led to misunderstandings," he told Ars. "If we publish like this, it will scare peopleóthatís the reason that we didnít publish it. Itís food for thought. We do realize these are very rough ideas."
..."You can compare [this situation] to taking pictures of what someone buys for dinner with how a dinner tastesóyou donít have the complete picture," he added.
..."We really didnít expect that people would publish a document that clearly says Ďnot for publicationíóthat really surprised us," he said. "I donít know if itís naive. Why canít I trust people?" [Ed: Oh, diddums]
Article from: boingboing.net
Latest News from our Front Page
Minister of Migration attacked by asylum seeker with fire extinguisher
Sweden‚Äôs Minister of Justice & Migration also known as Morgan ‚Äúonly 1%‚ÄĚ Johansson, has been attacked with a fire extinguisher when he visited an asylum home for future Swedes.
Regional newspaper, Kristiandstadsbladet reported that a man who had been living at the home for a couple of weeks grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed foam all over the minister who didn‚Äôt ...
Hollywood agents: Difficult for white actors to find work now that shows required ‚Äėto go ethnic‚Äô
According to an article by Nellie Andreeva published yesterday at Deadline Hollywood, the television landscape has shifted so much this season that white actors are finding it increasingly difficult to find roles.
In addition to new hit shows with mostly minority casts ‚ÄĒ Black-ish, Empire, Fresh Off the Boat, and How to Get Away with Murder ‚ÄĒ shows that were originally ...
Congratulations Pussy Porters!
Mural paid for by the government, decorates a Swedish school.
On International Women‚Äôs day Julia Caesar published this chronicle in Swedish on Snaphanen which I‚Äôve translated but prior to reading it I‚Äôd like to provide you with some background information on certain terms which are incomprehensible to non-Swedes.
First and foremost ‚Äúpussy porter‚ÄĚ and ‚Äúpenis porter‚ÄĚ are terms that third-wave feminists in ...
Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately ‚Äď prosecutor
The Germanwings co-pilot seemed to have crashed the plane deliberately, killing 150 people on board. The co-pilot wouldn‚Äôt let the captain inside the cabin, with the ‚Äúintension to destroy‚ÄĚ the jet, the French prosecutor said at a press conference.
Follow RT‚Äôs live updates on investigation into Germanwings plane crash
The Germanwings co-pilot was identified as Andreas Lubitz.
The captain was between 30 ...
Sweden adds gender-neutral pronoun to dictionary
The official dictionary of the Swedish language will introduce a gender-neutral pronoun in April, editors at the Swedish Academy have announced.
‚ÄúHen‚ÄĚ will be added to ‚Äúhan‚ÄĚ (he) and ‚Äúhon‚ÄĚ (she) as one of 13,000 new words in the latest edition of the Swedish Academy‚Äôs SAOL.
The pronoun is used to refer to a person without revealing their gender ‚Äď either because ...
|More News Ľ |