UK Airport to ditch naked scanners
2012-09-18 0:00

From: BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Controversial "naked" security scanners are to be ditched by airport bosses.

The machines at Manchester Airport invaded passenger privacy, according to critics, by giving graphic X-ray style images.

But a trial of their use comes to an end next month and they will be replaced by five next generation "privacy friendly" scanners thanks to EU rules.

The new scanners include a feature which automatically processes images of passengers using a system that eliminates the need for a security officer to view the ghost-like X-ray body outlines that sparked the controversy.

The new machines instead scan passengers using radio frequency-based millimetre wave technology rather than the low dose X-rays used by the current body scanners. A computer then analyses the scans and alerts airport staff where to look for hidden objects using a stick figure diagram.

Despite a panel of independent European health experts unanimously concluding in March that there was no evidence that the current X-ray body scanners posed health risks, airport bosses said the current trial of those machines will end in six weeks because legislation from Brussels now excludes the technology.

"We’re baffled by this situation because health experts say they are safe plus the overwhelming majority of our passengers and security staff prefer body scanners to frisking and it’s frustrating that Brussels has allowed this successful trial to end", said Andrew Harrison, chief operating officer at MAG, Manchester Airport’s parent company.

"Our security surveys and those run by the Department for Transport show passengers regularly rate their experience at Manchester as one of the best security processes in the UK if not Europe.

"There’s no doubt that body scanners play a big part in these results. That’s why we are once again investing in new next generation scanner technology where the human examination of images is automated."

Five new security scanners in total will start to be installed across all three terminals and transfer lounges at Manchester Airport from October 1 in a trial expected to last three months. In the meantime, an additional 55 full-time security staff have been employed.


Article from: belfasttelegraph.co.uk
















Related Articles
Controversial ’naked’ airport body scanners to be scrapped after failing to receive European approval
See-Through Security: Molecular scanners to search without consent
Former TSA Admits $1B Nude Body Scanner Fleet Worthless!
Don’t want to be groped by the TSA or go through a body scanner? Just pay $100!
YouTube Restricts Video Of Engineer Proving How Useless TSA Scanners Are
TSA To Test Body Scanner Operators For Radiation Exposure
TSA Kicks Woman Off Flight For Bad Attitude
White House Pulls Down TSA Petition
TSA: Filming Checkpoints is ‘Terrorism’
House Panel to TSA: Stop Patting Down Beyonce (Celebs ’More Equal’ Than Others)
EU bans naked airport body scanners over safety concerns


Latest News from our Front Page

The Josh Duggar Incident Reveals The Tactics And Hypocrisy of SJWs
2015-05-30 1:46
Last week, In Touch Weekly broke the news that Josh Duggar, eldest son of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar from TLC’s 19 Kids and Counting, had molested five under-aged girls in 2002 and 2003. Josh, who was 14 at the time, was accused of fondling his victims, touching their breasts and genitals while they slept. A police report was released shortly ...
15 More Men of South Asian Descent Charged With Child Sex Offences
2015-05-30 0:42
Police in Keighley, West Yorkshire have charged 14 men and a 16-year-old boy with sex offences including the rape of a girl under the age of 16. The offences relate primarily to one female victim, with one allegation involving a second who was also under 16 at the time. The offences are alleged to have occurred between 2011 and 2012. In ...
Anti-Semitic fliers left on Chevy Chase driveways
2015-05-29 22:45
Five streets in Chevy Chase, Md., were papered with anti-Semitic fliers on Wednesday morning. Montgomery County police are looking for the person or people who left the hate-filled leaflets on almost every driveway on the streets. “This is very disturbing. My community is definitely disturbed,” said Jean Sperling, the village manager of Martin’s Additions, the community where the fliers were found. Sperling ...
German court says ex-SS officer unfit for trial
2015-05-29 22:32
Prosecutors in the northern German city of Hamburg have dropped their probe into a 93-year-old former Nazi SS officer. Gerhard Sommer, who suffers from dementia, allegedly took part in a World War II massacre in Italy. Gerhard Sommer, a former company commander of a mechanized infantry division, had been accused of participating in the mass murder of 560 civilians by Nazi ...
The Age of Disinformation
2015-05-29 21:56
I have been a professional meteorologist for 36 years. Since my debut on television in 1979, I have been an eyewitness to the many changes in technology, society, and how we communicate. I am one who embraces change, and celebrates the higher quality of life we enjoy now thanks to this progress. But, at the same time, I realize the instant ...
More News »