Nick Buckles tells MPs G4S will claim its multi-million management fee despite Olympics ’shambles’
2012-07-18 0:00


Nick Buckles

The chief executive of G4S has insisted his company will still claim its £57 million management fee for security at the Olympic Games, even though the company has presided over a “humiliating shambles”.

Nick Buckles faced repeated criticism from a committee of MPs as he struggled to explain how the company had failed to fulfil its contractual obligations to provide more than 10,000 security guards for the Olympic Games.

That failure has forced ministers to assign thousands of soldiers and police officers to basic security duties. Mr Buckles told the Commons home affairs committee that his firm would meet all the Government’s additional costs for those deployments, and was prepared to fund bonuses for troops assigned to Olympic duties if commanders thought it appropriate.

However, he made clear that he believed his firm was still entitled to its fee for managing the security arrangements for the Games. G4S holds a £284  million contract to provide security staff for the Games, which includes a £57 million “management fee”. Challenged to waive that fee, Mr Buckles insisted it should still be paid.

“We’ve managed the contract and we’ve had management on the ground for two years,” he said. “We still expect to deliver a significant number of staff.” Keith Vaz, the Labour chairman of the committee, told Mr Buckles his stance on the fee was “astonishing”.

That exchange followed questioning in which Mr Buckles offered an abject assessment of his company’s performance over the Games. When it was put to Mr Buckles that the affair had become a “humiliating shambles,” he replied: “I cannot disagree with you.”

The chief executive also faced personal embarrassment during his 90-minute appearance, frequently appearing hesitant or uncertain about details of the security operation. At one point, Mr Buckles said he was unable to say if his staff spoke “fluent English” because “I don’t know what fluent English is”.

G4S employs more than 600,000 people worldwide, and Mr Buckles insisted that the £284 million contract was “financially not a huge issue” for his firm.
Instead of hoping to make money, he said, the company bid for the Olympic work to enhance its global image.

Instead, the debacle has become a worldwide embarrassment for the firm, whose shares have fallen by almost a fifth since its Olympic troubles were revealed last week. Mr Buckles admitted the affair had left his company’s reputation “in tatters”.

As a result of the London experience, G4S will now not bid for security work at the 2014 football world cup or the 2016 Olympics.

Mr Buckles told the MPs he was “deeply sorry” for the company’s performance, but rejected their suggestions that he should resign over the affair.

He said: “It’s not about me; it’s about delivering the contract. I’m the right person to ensure that happens.”


Related Articles

Latest News from our Front Page

The Pilgrims Were Definitely Not Like Modern-Day Refugees
2015-11-27 20:01
This upcoming Thanksgiving Day is sure to offer you and your family plenty of opportunities to argue over whether America should be welcoming Syrian refugees. If you have any liberal relatives or friends coming over for your Thursday feast, they’re going to relish the chance to tell everyone that the Pilgrims were refugees too — and hope that statement decimates all ...
ISIS to France: "We will be coming. Victory has been promised to us by Allah"
2015-11-26 3:33
Homegrown French ISIS fighters have issued a chilling threat of new attacks on France just 24 hours after the terrorist group used movie footage of the Eiffel Tower's collapse in another video.  A balaclava-clad militant is seen warning 'we will be coming, we will come to crush your country' in footage posted on Twitter earlier today. It is unclear where the film ...
ISIS teenage 'poster girl' Samra Kesinovic 'beaten to death' as she tried to flee the group
2015-11-26 1:07
She appeared in social media images for the group carrying a Kalashnikov and surrounded by armed men A teenage girl who ran away from her Vienna home to join Isis in Syria has reportedly been beaten to death by the group after trying to escape. Samra Kesinovic, 17, travelled to Syria last year with her friend Sabina Selimovic, 15. The two became a ...
The Right Stuff's flagship podcast "The Daily Shoah" has been censored by Soundcloud
2015-11-25 22:56
Editor's note: The PC corporate moral police strike again. Just as Radio 3Fourteen & Red Ice Radio were censored from iTunes, The Daily Shoah was pulled from Soundcloud today. As per usual, there is a double standard, they allow any kind of anti-White material: No counter culture humor making fun of the genocidal mainstream garbage is allowed! ... From: Soundcloud took it upon ...
Merkel Welcomes A Million More: Vows To Stand By Refugee Policy Despite Security Fears
2015-11-25 21:05
Chancellor Angela Merkel vowed on Wednesday to stick to her open-door refugee policy, defying criticism at home and abroad which has intensified due to growing fears about a potential security risk after the Islamist attacks in Paris. Conservative Merkel faces splits in her right-left coalition and pressure from EU states, including France, over her insistence that Germany can cope with up ...
More News »