Bones of 200 soldiers from time of Christ so well preserved in bog that their DNA can be studied
By Eddie Wrenn | DailyMail.co.uk
Danish archaeologists have re-opened a mass grave of scores of slaughtered Iron Age warriors to find new clues about their fate and the bloody practices of Germanic tribes on the edge of the Roman Empire.
Bones of around 200 soldiers have already been found preserved in a peat bog near the village of Alken on Denmark’s Jutland peninsula.
Experts started digging again on Monday, saying they expected to find more bodies dating back 2,000 years to around the time of Christ.
Aarhus University archaeologist Mads Kahler Holst said: ’I guess we will end up with a scale that is much larger than the 200 that we have at present.’
A peat bog in Denmark: The bones were found at the bottom of a water-filled pit like this, which kept the bodies well-preserved
A separate peat bog discovery led to the discovery of the Tolluwo Man, an amazingly well-preserved corpse from 220BC
Speaking by phone from the site on damp grazing meadows near Jutland’s large lake of Mossoe, he added: ’We have only touched upon a very small part of what we expect to be there ... We have not seen anything like this before in Denmark, but it is quite extraordinary even in a European perspective.’
The first bones, belonging to people as young as 13, were discovered in 2009.
Cuts and slashes on the skeletons showed they had died violently, said Holst. But nothing was known for sure about the identity of the killers, or their victims.
’That is one of the big mysteries ... We don’t know if it is local or foreign - we would expect it to be local,’ Holst said.
’We think it is a sacrifice related to warfare and probably the defeated soldiers were killed and thrown into the lake,’ he said.
The remains are from the beginning of the Roman Iron Age, though Roman armies never reached so far north.
’It was the time when the Roman Empire had its greatest expansion to the north,’ Holst said. But even that push only got the Romans as far as modern day Germany, a few hundred kilometres to the south of the Danish site.
’This conflict could have been a consequence of the Roman expansion, its effect on the Germanic world,’ Holst said.
He said the discovery could shed new light on what happened in those centuries beyond the borders of the Roman Empire.
’It will also tell about what level of military organisation existed in this northern European area,’ he said.
Similar discoveries of sacrificed warriors from a few hundred years earlier have been made at Celtic sites in France, Holst said.
Read the full article at: dailymail.co.uk
Latest News from our Front Page
The Josh Duggar Incident Reveals The Tactics And Hypocrisy of SJWs
Last week, In Touch Weekly broke the news that Josh Duggar, eldest son of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar from TLCâ€™s 19 Kids and Counting, had molested five under-aged girls in 2002 and 2003. Josh, who was 14 at the time, was accused of fondling his victims, touching their breasts and genitals while they slept.
A police report was released shortly ...
15 More Men of South Asian Descent Charged With Child Sex Offences
Police in Keighley, West Yorkshire have charged 14 men and a 16-year-old boy with sex offences including the rape of a girl under the age of 16. The offences relate primarily to one female victim, with one allegation involving a second who was also under 16 at the time.
The offences are alleged to have occurred between 2011 and 2012. In ...
Anti-Semitic fliers left on Chevy Chase driveways
Five streets in Chevy Chase, Md., were papered with anti-Semitic fliers on Wednesday morning.
Montgomery County police are looking for the person or people who left the hate-filled leaflets on almost every driveway on the streets.
â€śThis is very disturbing. My community is definitely disturbed,â€ť said Jean Sperling, the village manager of Martinâ€™s Additions, the community where the fliers were found. Sperling ...
German court says ex-SS officer unfit for trial
Prosecutors in the northern German city of Hamburg have dropped their probe into a 93-year-old former Nazi SS officer. Gerhard Sommer, who suffers from dementia, allegedly took part in a World War II massacre in Italy.
Gerhard Sommer, a former company commander of a mechanized infantry division, had been accused of participating in the mass murder of 560 civilians by Nazi ...
The Age of Disinformation
I have been a professional meteorologist for 36 years. Since my debut on television in 1979, I have been an eyewitness to the many changes in technology, society, and how we communicate. I am one who embraces change, and celebrates the higher quality of life we enjoy now thanks to this progress.
But, at the same time, I realize the instant ...
|More News » |