Protesters and Police Clash at NATO Meeting; 2 Held on Terrorism Charges
By Steven Yaccino and Monica Davey | NYTimes.com
Protesters at the NATO summit meeting clashed with the Chicago police late Sunday as officers tried to disperse thousands of people who had gathered several blocks from the site of the meeting and refused demands to leave.
The standoff, which lasted several hours, grew intense as police officers, some in riot gear and gas masks, and protesters, some wearing all black, confronted one another, and shoving and scuffles broke out.
Some among the hundreds of officers repeatedly struck protesters with police batons, and some protesters threw red paint, a bucket, sticks and more at the line of officers. As the clash went on, mounted police officers could be seen equipping their horses with protective masks.
A protester is helped after sustaining an injury at a protest march and rally during this weekend’s NATO summit in Chicago Sunday, May 20, 2012 in Chicago. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast) GlobalTV.com
At one point, an officer emerged from a scrum of people with his arm firmly around the neck of a protester, who appeared to be in distress. At another point, a demonstrator shoved an officer to the ground, before another officer pulled him to safety.
About 45 protesters were arrested on Sunday, and at least four officers were injured, according to the Chicago Police superintendent, Garry McCarthy. It was uncertain how many protesters were injured.
The confrontations followed a march through the streets downtown, the largest demonstration during days of protests that have led up to the NATO meeting here. Led by about 40 men and women in American military uniforms who said they wished to return their medals as symbolic gestures, thousands of protesters opposed to war and to NATO or motivated by other issues marched down Michigan Avenue, winding their way as close as they could get to McCormick Place, where world leaders were holding the summit meeting.
For weeks, tensions here have grown over what it might mean in Chicago to host the first NATO summit meeting held in a United States city outside of Washington and face the political protests that would accompany it. Even before the tense confrontations, five people had been arrested miles from the street protests, but with what prosecutors described as plans involving bombs and other devices aimed at disrupting the summit meetings. Those arrests seemed to put a nervous city still further on edge.
On Sunday, prosecutors announced that they had filed charges against Sebastian Senakiewicz, 24, of Chicago, accusing him of falsely making a terrorist threat by claiming that he had homemade explosives — hidden in a hollowed-out “Harry Potter” book at his house — that could blow up a highway overpass. No explosives were found in a search of Mr. Senakiewicz’s home, the prosecutors said.
Separately, Mark Neiweem, 28, who was also believed to be from Chicago, was charged with “solicitation for possession” of explosives or incendiary devices. Prosecutors said he had discussed making a pipe bomb with an associate. He wrote a list, the prosecutors said, of all the items he thought he needed for the bomb.
Lawyers for both men denied the charges, and suggested that the authorities in Chicago were overstating the claims as a warning to the thousands of protesters, some of them linked to the Occupy movement, who have descended on the city for the summit meeting.
Read the full article at: nytimes.com
Video from: YouTube.com
Nato Summit 2012: Ballistic Missile Shield to be Put in Place
Obama, NATO leaders chart path out of Afghanistan
NATO Protesters Storm Chicago (Photos )
45 arrests at NATO meet in Chicago
Protesters march through Chicago to NATO summit
NATO’s AMD in Europe to shoot down global peace?
UN Mute Over NATO’s Syrian Death Squads
Chicago Militarizes for G8/NATO Summits
Federal agents to begin protecting ‘Red Zone’ for NATO next week
From the Cold War to NATO’s "Humanitarian Wars" - The Complicity of the UN
NATO Air Strike Kills Group of Afghan Children
Anonymous Warns NATO: "This Is No Longer Your World"
Thousands of protesters march through downtown Chicago carrying grievances to NATO summit
Latest News from our Front Page
ABC Is Hiding Details of Killer Vester Flanagan's Manifesto ...(Must Be Littered With Liberal Propaganda)
Killer Vester Flanagan was a big Obama supporter.
But, you’d never know it from the liberal media.
The media is hiding Flanagan’s political leanings from the American public.
ABC has yet to release Flanagan’s manifesto.
It must be littered with embarrassing liberal propaganda.
The Tatler reported, via Instapundit:
Two days ago, ABC News reported that Vester Flanagan, the murderer of two WDBJ employees, sent a 23-page ...
Austria, Libya count dead as number of migrants crossing Mediterranean soars
Austria said on Friday 71 refugees including a baby girl were found dead in an abandoned freezer truck, while Libya recovered the bodies of 82 migrants washed ashore after their overcrowded boat sank on its way to Europe and scores more were feared dead.
The U.N. refugee agency said the number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean to reach Europe ...
Financial Times Calls For Abolishing Cash
liminating physical currency necessary to give central banks more power
The Financial Times has published an anonymous article which calls for the abolition of cash in order to give central banks and governments more power.
Entitled The case for retiring another ‘barbarous relic’, the article laments the fact that people are stockpiling cash in anticipation of another economic collapse, a factor which ...
Serbian government bans anti-mass immigration protests, and plans ahead for mass immigration
Nebojsa Stefanovic, Serbia’s Interior Minister said protesters who are concerned about “an EU plan” to settle thousands of illegal immigrants into the country, will not be allowed to voice their concerns in a protest march on Monday, 31st of August.
“We will not allow the expression of intolerance and hatred to be something that is characteristic of Serbia” said Stefanovic.
“The Ministry ...
Germany asks Facebook to remove 'racist' anti-migrant posts
Heiko Maas, Germany's justice minister, says social network should remove xenophobic posts in the same way it deals with nudity
Germany is calling on Facebook to remove “xenophobic and racist” anti-migrant posts from its website and apps.
Heiko Maas, the German justice minister, has written to the company to demand an urgent review of its policy over hate messages.
“Photos of certain ...
|More News » |