Obama taps emergency oil reserves, is accused of threatening U.S. security
2011-06-28 0:00

By Ayesha Rascoe and Timothy Gardner | Reuters.com

President Barack Obama took withering fire from the oil industry and Republicans for agreeing to release the nationís emergency oil supplies, a decision that senior officials said was prompted by the need to prop up the ailing economy.

Critics blasted the release of 30 million barrels of oil -- half of a global injection coordinated by the International Energy Agency -- as an ill-timed misuse of reserves at a time when U.S. supplies are relatively high, despite the loss of Libyaís exports for the past three months.

Some OPEC officials went further, calling it a political ploy that ignored Saudi Arabiaís promise to step up production and the fact that oil prices had already fallen sharply.

But the move fueled questions about the timing and catalyst for releasing the stocks, which in the past have been reserved to address abrupt disruptions like natural disasters.

DRIVING SEASON LOOMS

The Obama administration was also concerned about tight markets ahead of peak demand in the summer, when many Americans take to the roads for vacations. The jump in gasoline prices earlier this year was hurting Obamaís support as the White House was gearing up for its re-election campaign.

"The cascade of bad economic news is poison for a president running for re-election," said Larry Sabato, political science professor at University of Virginia.

"But politics is about smoke and mirrors. This now allows the Obama administration to claim credit for the fall in oil prices," Sabato said.

Others said the move was a shot across the bow for the speculators that Obama has blamed for inflating prices, and for OPEC members who have resisted moves to pump more oil.

"We would suggest that todayís action represents the first genuine, offensive use of the OECDís ídefensive oil weaponí to send an unforgettable message to OPEC and also to noncommercial players in the crude markets," said Kevin Book, an analyst at ClearView Energy Partners in Washington.

"IíM NOT SURE WE NEED MORE OIL"

The U.S. oil release is designed to help fill a gap in supply caused when political upheaval in Libya and Yemen choked off supplies of light, sweet crude, which initially sent oil prices higher.

But the IEAís 60 million-barrel release comes as U.S. oil prices have been on the decline since late April, falling nearly 20 percent since their U.S. peak at $113 a barrel. Thursdayís announcement drove oil prices down almost 5 percent to below $91 per barrel.

"Iím not sure we need more oil. Thereís been weakness of demand and I donít see what the release of 60 million barrels of oil adds to the market," said Christophe Barret, oil analyst with Credit Agricole.

"Itís the equivalent of two months Libyan production, so Iím not sure it will make much difference," Barret said.

The oil industry said the new supplies are not needed and are "ill-timed."

"There is no supply emergency," said Bill Bush, a spokesman for the American Petroleum Institute, a group pushing for the Obama administration to speed up approvals to expand offshore drilling.

Republicans in Washington criticized the move, saying it would ultimately hurt American taxpayers.

"This action threatens our ability to respond to a genuine national security crisis and means we must ultimately find the resources to replenish the reserve -- at significant cost to taxpayers," said John Boehner, Republican leader in the House of Representatives.

Read the full article at: reuters.com


Image: Wikimedia Commons




Related Articles
MI6 plotted with No10 to oust Saddam in bid to win "prize" of secure oil supplies
The Energy Non-Crisis (Video) US Govt Lying About Oil Reserves
While Slowing BP Oil Spill, Administration Slowed Flow Of Information Too: Report
What If President Obama Just Ignored the Debt Ceiling?
Debt crisis could trigger new economic meltdown: Obama
WikiLeaks: Saudis may run out of oil in 2012
Why Might a Saudi King Want the US to Attack Iran? (Video)
Chavez Critical? "Regime change flu coming to Latin America"
"Libya war driven by O-I-L: Oil, Israel & Logistics" - Cynthia McKinney (Video)


Latest News from our Front Page

ABC Is Hiding Details of Killer Vester Flanagan's Manifesto ...(Must Be Littered With Liberal Propaganda)
2015-08-29 3:45
Killer Vester Flanagan was a big Obama supporter. But, you’d never know it from the liberal media. The media is hiding Flanagan’s political leanings from the American public. ABC has yet to release Flanagan’s manifesto. It must be littered with embarrassing liberal propaganda. The Tatler reported, via Instapundit: Two days ago, ABC News reported that Vester Flanagan, the murderer of two WDBJ employees, sent a 23-page ...
Austria, Libya count dead as number of migrants crossing Mediterranean soars
2015-08-29 1:37
Austria said on Friday 71 refugees including a baby girl were found dead in an abandoned freezer truck, while Libya recovered the bodies of 82 migrants washed ashore after their overcrowded boat sank on its way to Europe and scores more were feared dead. The U.N. refugee agency said the number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean to reach Europe ...
Financial Times Calls For Abolishing Cash
2015-08-29 1:07
liminating physical currency necessary to give central banks more power The Financial Times has published an anonymous article which calls for the abolition of cash in order to give central banks and governments more power. Entitled The case for retiring another ‘barbarous relic’, the article laments the fact that people are stockpiling cash in anticipation of another economic collapse, a factor which ...
Serbian government bans anti-mass immigration protests, and plans ahead for mass immigration
2015-08-29 1:52
Nebojsa Stefanovic, Serbia’s Interior Minister said protesters who are concerned about “an EU plan” to settle thousands of illegal immigrants into the country, will not be allowed to voice their concerns in a protest march on Monday, 31st of August. “We will not allow the expression of intolerance and hatred to be something that is characteristic of Serbia” said Stefanovic. “The Ministry ...
Germany asks Facebook to remove 'racist' anti-migrant posts
2015-08-28 20:32
Heiko Maas, Germany's justice minister, says social network should remove xenophobic posts in the same way it deals with nudity Germany is calling on Facebook to remove “xenophobic and racist” anti-migrant posts from its website and apps. Heiko Maas, the German justice minister, has written to the company to demand an urgent review of its policy over hate messages. “Photos of certain ...
More News »