WikiLeaks Blows Lid Off Gitmo
By Dan De Luce | YahooNews.com
The United States has botched the handling of inmates at Guantanamo, holding men for years without reliable evidence while releasing others who posed a grave threat, according to leaked secret documents.
The trove of classified files released by the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks showed US officials struggling with often flawed evidence and confused about the guilt or innocence of detainees held at the prison at the US naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, media reported Monday.
WikiLeaks unlock Guantanamo cages
Video from: YouTube.com
Hundreds of inmates who turned out to have no serious terror links were held without trial, based on vague or inaccurate information, including accounts from unreliable fellow detainees or statements from men who had been abused or tortured, the New York Times quoted the documents as saying.
One poor Afghan farmer with no ties to militants was held for two years without trial in a case of mistaken identity, the documents showed.
But US authorities in 2004 decided to release Abdullah Mehsud, a Taliban extremist who duped his interrogators into believing he had been conscripted by the insurgents as a driver.
"Detainee does not pose a future threat to the US or US interests," said a 2003 document, quoted by the Times.
Mehsud, who gave a false name to his American interrogators, was sent back to Afghanistan where he organized a Taliban unit to assault US troops, planned an attack on Pakistan’s interior ministry that claimed 31 lives, oversaw the kidnapping of two Chinese engineers and set off a suicide bomb in 2007 in Pakistan -- winning praise from Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
President Barack Obama’s administration, which has struggled to close the controversial Guantanamo prison, denounced the "unfortunate" release of the classified documents, part of a massive cache of secret memos leaked to WikiLeaks last year.
The government said in a statement the Obama and Bush administrations had "made every effort to act with the utmost care and diligence in transferring detainees from Guantanamo."
The New York Times was among a group of US and European media outlets that obtained the 779 secret documents, including The Washington Post, National Public Radio, The Daily Telegraph, El Pais, Le Monde, Der Spiegel and La Repubblica.
In another revelation, one document reportedly showed that a top detainee, senior Al-Qaeda commander Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, claimed that a nuclear bomb had been hidden somewhere in Europe to be detonated if bin Laden is ever caught or killed.
At least 150 detainees brought to Guantanamo were innocent Afghans or Pakistanis, including drivers, farmers and chefs, according to The Daily Telegraph.
They were rounded up as part of frantic intelligence-gathering in war zones and then detained at the US naval base in southeastern Cuba for years due to incorrect information or simply for being at the wrong place at the wrong time, the British daily said.
Overall, US military analysts considered only 220 of all the suspects detained at Guantanamo to be dangerous extremists.
Another 380 were deemed to be low-ranking foot soldiers who traveled to Afghanistan or were part of the Taliban, the Telegraph wrote.
In dozens of cases, senior US commanders were said to have concluded that there was "no reason recorded for transfer" to Guantanamo Bay.
However, about a third of the 600-some men who have been transferred to third countries from Guantanamo were branded "high-risk" before being released or handed to other governments, The New York Times said.
Of the 172 prisoners who remain at Guantanamo, 130 have been rated as posing a "high-risk" threat.
The Times said the files, which detail the background of each of the 779 people who have passed through the prison facility since 2002, revealed little about harsh interrogation tactics reportedly used at Guantanamo that sparked widespread condemnation around the world.
Article from: news.yahoo.com
WIKILEAKS: The Guantanamo Files
Most Guantanamo prisoners were no threat
Video from: YouTube.com
Al Jazeera cameraman ’interrogated’ about network
Video from: YouTube.com
"Sami al-Hajj was working as an Al Jazeera cameraman when he was arrested in late 2001 and sent to Guantanamo Bay.
One file in the newly released trove of leaked US military documents shows that al-Hajj, held at Guantanamo for six years, was detained partly in order to be interrogated about the news network."
Canadian Omar Khadr interrogation
Video from: YouTube.com
"Footage from the interrogation of Omar Khadr, who was taken to Guantánamo Bay aged 15"
Also tune into:
James Evan Pilato - Wikileaks, Julian Assange & the Pirates
Jim Marrs - Trillion-Dollar Bailout Conspiracy, American Revolutions & Wikileaks
James Corbett - Geopolitics, Eugenics & Depopulation
Tenth Year of Torture: Guantanamo (Video)
US freed risky Gitmo inmates: Wikileaks
Guantánamo Bay files: Children and senile old men among detainees
WikiLeaks: Guantanamo Detainee Omar Khadr — Shame On You Stephen Harper & Gov. of Canada!
Youngest Gitmo Prisoner Arrives in Courtroom for Trial
US prepares Gitmo for 1000s of Haitians
Illinois Prison to be the new Gitmo
Talking Blues: Gitmo Gets Harsher Under "Progressive" Rule
Gitmo Not Closing By January
Military: Gitmo detainee dies of apparent suicide
Clemency sought for child soldier at Guantanamo
In blow to closing Guantanamo, Obama signs law
Scott Horton Interviews Andy Worthington, author of "The Guantanamo Files" (Audio)
Government cannot use secret evidence in Guantánamo torture case, court rules
Prosecuting a Tortured Child: Obama’s Guantanamo Legacy
Bush ’knew Guantanamo prisoners were innocent’: document
Murders at Guantanamo: Exposing the Truth about the 2006 ‘Suicides’
Remembering the US Soldier Who Committed Suicide After She Refused to Take Part in Torture
WikiLeaks releasing documents on Guantanamo
Latest News from our Front Page
White Women Are Getting Fed Up
We are sick and tired of having our countries ruined, seeing our folk demoralized, and being hated and blamed for all of the worlds problems. We are speaking out, and standing up for our people. We will not let this continue. Letâ€™s get this video trending on Twitter with #Whitewomenarefedup, and get this video to go viral!
Serbian government bans anti-mass immigration protests, and plans ahead for mass immigration
Nebojsa Stefanovic, Serbia’s Interior Minister said protesters who are concerned about “an EU plan” to settle thousands of illegal immigrants into the country, will not be allowed to voice their concerns in a protest march on Monday, 31st of August.
“We will not allow the expression of intolerance and hatred to be something that is characteristic of Serbia” said Stefanovic.
“The Ministry ...
Iran Commander: We're Getting Prepared to Overthrow Israel
As the White House secured their last needed vote to block a veto override in the Senate on the nuclear deal, Iran unleashed a double-pronged attack: vowing to block inspector access to some sites, and vowing to continue preparations to destroy Israel.
Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan said today that the International Atomic Energy Agency — which inked confidential ...
Jailed for Not Marrying the Gays
Five of six deputies in the office of a Kentucky county clerk taken into custody Thursday for her refusal to issue marriage licenses after the Supreme Court allowed gays to wed say they will process the paperwork starting Friday.
But Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, whom U.S. District Court Judge David Bunning found in contempt of court, said through her lawyers that she will not authorize ...
German Government Evict Poor Germans From Their Homes For Migrant Asylum Seekers
This is a video of a report on replacement of poor Germans with Middle Eastern asylum seekers. This was made broudcasted on a German Left-leaning TV station on August 28, 2015. It's original title: The most poor of the poor have to vacate their homes for asylum seekers.
|More News » |