Ex-cop pleads guilty in Katrina shootings
A former police lieutenant pleaded guilty Wednesday to conspiring to obstruct justice after federal officials say he helped cover for officers who killed two people in the chaos following Hurricane Katrina.
Federal investigators say former Lt. Michael Lohman knew two people shot to death as they crossed the Danziger Bridge had no weapons, but he and others filed false reports to make the shootings seem justified. Four other people were wounded.
Family members of the victims gathered at the downtown federal courthouse as Lohman arrived to enter his plea.
"We are very, very happy about the progress that the FBI and the U.S. Justice Department have made," said Dr. Romell Madison, brother of Ronald Madison, who was killed on the bridge. "It’s a tremendous relief for us to see some sort of closure. The people of New Orleans should be relieved that there is still justice for everybody here."
Seven officers were charged with murder or attempted murder in the Sept. 4, 2005, shootings, just days after Katrina smashed levees and flooded 80 percent of the city. But a state judge dismissed the charges in 2008.
Video from: YouTube.com
Until Lohman’s plea Wednesday no one had been convicted in the deaths of Madison, a 40-year-old mentally disabled man, and 19-year-old James Brissette. Four others were wounded.
Survivors have said the officers fired at unarmed people who were crossing to get food at a grocery store. The officers acknowledged shooting at people on the bridge, but said they did so only after being shot at.
Allegations of cover-up
The Danziger case is one of the best-known incidents of violence involving police after Katrina, a time in which confusion across the flooded city led to widespread reports, many later discounted, of police and rescuers being fired on.
Lohman, now 42, supervised the initial probe of the officers’ actions at the bridge, which spans the Industrial Canal and connects the working-class Gentilly neighborhood with eastern New Orleans. Both areas were extensively damaged in the storm.
His investigation drew U.S. Justice Department attention after the state judge dismissed charges against the seven officers.
Federal officials say Lohman knew another investigator planned to plant a gun to justify the shooting and asked if it was "clean," meaning it could not be traced back to another crime, according to the documents. The investigator assured him it was and he went along with the plan to plant it.
After Lohman’s plea, U.S. Attorney Jim Letten said the investigation continues. He called the case "a pretty elaborate ongoing conspiracy." He declined to say whether higher-ranking police officials might have been involved.
"We are going to follow the evidence wherever it takes us," he said.
Lohman went to the scene of the shootings, saw that the victims had no weapons, and concluded the shooting was unjustified, according to the bill of information. Then he and other unnamed officers conspired to cover that up by filing false statements on a police report about the incident, according to the documents, which does not name the other officers.
The plan was "to ensure that the shootings would appear to be legally justified and that the involved officers would therefore be shielded from prosecution and liability," the documents said.
A lawyer for one of the officers originally charged in the shootings said federal investigators have been looking into what they described as a "corrupt investigation."
So far, lawyers for two other officers have identified their clients as targets of the probe.
The documents unsealed Wednesday allege Lohman and two unidentified sergeants drafted different versions of a false incident report on the bridge shootings in October 2005.
Among claims in the false report was a statement by one of the victims that she had seen her nephew and others firing guns on the bridge.
Federal officials say Lohman drafted his own 17-page false report after becoming dissatisfied that another investigator’s false account was not logical.
"On several occasions in or about October 2005, defendant Lohman reviewed drafts of the false report written by the investigator and counseled the investigator on ways to make the story in the report sound more plausible," according to court documents.
The documents said Lohman also told the investigator to speak with each of the shooters to ensure they were "OK with" the false report, and were willing to give statements consistent with it.
"It’s pretty incredible stuff, said Gary Bizal, lawyer for Jose Holmes, Jr., who said he was shot several times as he lay on the ground but survived. "It’s like a script from Hollywood."
Lohman is to be sentenced May 26.
Article from: msnbc.msn.com
Former New Orleans Detective Pleads Guilty in Katrina Shooting Cover-up
By ProPublica | RawStory.com
Former New Orleans Police Department Lt. Michael Lohman today pleaded guilty to a single count of conspiring to obstruct justice, in connection with one of a string of violent encounters between police and civilians in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Police shot at least 10 people during the week after the storm made landfall. (We have been investigating the shootings, along with our partners the New Orleans Times-Picayune and PBS “Frontline.”)
Lohman’s conviction stems from the so-called Danziger Bridge incident of Sept. 4, 2005. Responding to an emergency call that day, New Orleans police officers shot six citizens—killing two—on and around the span.
The Times-Picayune has been covering the Danziger Bridge shootings from the start and they have the latest.
Lohman helped orchestrate the police’s investigation of the shooting, a probe portrayed in the bill of information as an attempted cover-up. The former lieutenant was involved in planting a handgun at the scene, drafted phony police reports, and lied to federal agents, according the court document. (The New York Times has good details on the alleged cover-up. And we at ProPublica have posted the bill of information in our easy-to-read document viewer.)
Lohman’s plea is the clearest indicator yet that the federal government—which for more than a year now has been investigating the New Orleans Police Department’s actions in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina—is mounting a two-pronged probe: federal prosecutors and the FBI are scrutinizing incidents in which police shot civilians in the chaotic days after the storm, as well as the alleged efforts of other officers to cover-up those shootings.
Defense attorneys familiar with the widening federal probe say the Justice Department is looking at the death of Henry Glover as a possible cover-up, as well. Glover was shot on Sept. 2. 2005—possibly by NOPD officer David Warren—and died, according to three witnesses, at makeshift police compound in the Algiers section of New Orleans. His charred remains were later discovered in an incinerated car dumped on a Mississippi River levee.
Federal agents began examining Glover’s death after ProPublica, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, reported on the case in late 2008.
In recent weeks, the Justice Department has begun looking at three other post-Katrina incidents—the shootings of Danny Brumfield, Matthew McDonald and Keenon McCann, all of whom were shot by NOPD officers in the week after the hurricane made landfall. Brumfield and McDonald died; McCann was injured but survived to file a lawsuit against the police department. He was shot to death by an unknown assailant in 2008 while the suit was pending.
The NOPD, like most police departments, conducts an investigation every time an officer opens fire on a citizen—the goal is to make sure the shooting was proper and justified. As a general rule, officers are allowed to use deadly force only when confronted by a person posing a physical threat, either to the officer or another civilian.
However, a joint effort by reporters with ProPublica, the New Orleans Times-Picayune and PBS “Frontline found that NOPD investigators did little to determine whether officers acted appropriately when they shot Brumfield, McDonald and McCann. NOPD detectives collected little physical evidence, spoke to few civilian witnesses, and conducted brief interviews—ranging from seven to 12 minutes—with the officers involved in the shootings.
Article from: RawStory.com
Judge: Corps’ negligence caused Katrina flooding
I just got back from a FEMA Detainment Camp (2005)
New Orleans Officials Tell Residents Not to Return Yet
Jeremy Scahill - Blackwater in New Orleans (video)
Google, New Orleans, FEMA and Whitewashing
Latest News from our Front Page
Is the countryside racist? Villages 'that want to remain white and middle class'
Country dwellers believe rural communities should be the preserve of white middle-class families with conservative values, a survey claims.
Many residents of countryside towns and villages consider them the 'last bastion' of old-fashioned English traditions.
And they often equate this 'exclusively and unthinkingly' with white Englishness, a study has found.
White gate: Are countryside villages, such as The Lee, in Buckinghamshire, racist for ...
More than 30 "White Student Union" pages created on Facebook in last week
More than 30 â€śWhite Student Unionâ€ť pages have recently sprung up over the last several days on Facebook, pages that affiliate themselves with various universities around the nation
The creation of an â€śIllini White Student Unionâ€ť Facebook page that surfaced Nov. 18 in response to a â€śBlack Student Solidarity Rallyâ€ť at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign gained national attention, but ...
Pew: White Christians no longer a majority
A woman prays at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles during "A Night of Hope," an event hosted by Lakewood Church pastor Joel Osteen. | AP Photo
White Christians now make up less than half of the U.S. population, largely receding from the majorities of most demographic groups, with one notable exception: the Republican Party.
According to the latest results from Pew Research ...
Cinemas refuse to show Church of England advert featuring Lord's Prayer
The UKâ€™s three leading cinema chains have refused to show an advert by the Church of England that features the Lordâ€™s Prayer, citing fears that it could offend people.
Vociferous critic of religion says anyone thin-skinned enough to be offended by church advert deserves to be offended
The 60-second advert was due to be shown before Star Wars: the Force Awakens, released ...
Free Ottawa yoga class scrapped over "cultural issues"
Jennifer Scharf is a yoga instructor who had delivered a free class to students at the University of Ottawa for the past seven years that was cancelled this year due to a complaint that yoga constitutes "cultural appropriation." Errol McGihon/Ottawa SunStudent leaders have pulled the mat out from 60 University of Ottawa students, ending a free on-campus yoga class over ...
|More News » |